Hi

I got a Yamaha RXV1400 for USD 630 in Oct.

1) Features : You name it. Some features rarely found on USD 600 receivers that this unit has are Component switching, DPLIIx, Powered Zone 2, Auto room setup, Direct Mode (Bypassing all tone controls like an integrated amp), top-notch and clean sounding 24-bit/192k DAC's.

2) It can be had for around USD 550 in the US through some online companies.

3) Automatic room setup of Yamaha (YPAO) is really good.

4) Power 7 X 110W @ 8 Ohms is what is stated on the spec. sheet of the player. But a more realistic rating would be 70W or so.

5) I have the champagne one (Asian version) which is not that great. I prefer the black version but we cannot get it in Asia.

6) Remote : Very easy to use. I can also operate my Toshiba TV, Panasonic DVD player and JVC VCR with it (built-in codes).

7) 7 channels + 2 presence channels. It can handle all 9 channels simultaneously but requires external amplification for the presence speakers.

8) I think it has too many of the latest features to really become obsolete very soon. Other brands are still playing catchup. The only feature that I would have loved to have on this receiver was the USB Audio feature. The other feature that is lacking on this unit and which is only available on high-end and high-priced receivers is the iLink feature for digital transmission of DVD-Audio signals from players to receivers that are equipped with this port.

I personally cant find any special reason for upgrading my receiver in the near future.

Yamaha also has the slightly higher spec. RX-V2400 but there is very little difference between the 2 models. You should look at the RX-V2400 review on the Audioholics site. This will give you a very clear idea of what to expect from the RX-V1400 receiver.

Good luck in your hunt. Cheers / Mahesh