I would have to say the most annoying audition i've had to date came from a very patronizing salesman, an older gent at that.
He's "been in the business for 20 years" he tells us, in a very similar tone that my grandfather used to call us young whippersnappers.
Forget the fact that we were two 30+ men, both with rather advanced educational degrees and both well informed with home electronics, we were still treated as if we knew NOTHING. The guy actually started explaining to us what a preamp does, then the amp then the processor, and later on, how biwiring really works beginning with how you have to remove the clips on the binding posts first.
{rolling eyes}
He never asked what our background was or what our level of understanding could be. Heck, we could have been electricians and talked circles around him about impedances, loads, circuits, etc., but i still think he would have explained things to us like little kids.
I can honestly say that i think his level of patronizing was about equivalent to an adult teaching some kid at about the grade 9 or 10 level.

Now that was truly annoying. I can only wonder how many customers he offends by treating them that way. Now that i think about it, maybe he doesn't get that many intellectual types in his store but rather more the yuppie types looking for the fanciest most powerful thing they can afford for home theatre. Heaven forbid you only buy speakers for HT though. He also told us the speakers we were looking at would be wasted on just HT.
Oooh the aggravation of the ignorant.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."