fast_lane,

Last week I received my new pair of M60ti's and the VP150. I've got the M60's about 12' apart, and the center speaker is about 64" above the floor on a shelf directly above my 65" Mits. The main listening area is 12' - 13' in front of the TV.

Here's what you need to know: it is critical to adjust the output of the VP150 to match the output of the M60's. Since this can be difficult to do by ear, it is important to use a sound level meter (the best $50 I've ever spent at Radio Shack). If the volume level of the VP150 is louder than the mains, then YES it will sound more "out front" of the M60's and will be very localizable. Since the VP150 is a 6-ohm speaker, it will be louder with the same amount of input versus a similar 8 ohm speaker. That's probably why it has such a high sensitivity rating (95db). So you have to tame this speaker down a little bit to match the mains. On my HK 525 receiver, the VP150 needs to be about -3 dB from the mains. Once you get the output levels adjusted properly, the VP150 will blend right in with the M60's.

I haven't noticed any timbre matching issues. There is a scene in LOTR: TTT where Gollum is talking off-camera, and then his voice rolls to the center channel as the camera moves to him. This transition sounded seamless, I was rather impressed actually. It was more seamless than my previous Paradigm Mini-Monitor / CC-370 combination.

During a white noise test, the VP150 does sound a little different than the M60's. But this is expected because the way a speaker sounds is also affected by it's surroundings. Since the VP150 is mounted higher and sitting on a shelf, I expected it to sound a little different with white noise. Plus the M60's have one tweeter / one 5.25" / dual 6.5" drivers, versus the VP150's double tweeter / three 5.25" driver combination. This will, IMO, undoubtedly cause a slight difference in white noise reproduction. However when viewing real source material, any minimal timbre differences that are detectable with white noise are not noticeable with real listening material.

HTH,
Jason

M80 HP v4, VP160 v4, QS8 v1 (3 in 6.1 layout), SVS PB12-Plus/2, Parasound Halo A21, Denon AVR-X4100W