Originally Posted By: CV
Originally Posted By: grunt
I just don’t see everyday people demanding the change to lossless because of this, especially since most people can’t tell a 320 mp3 from lossless anyway.

Not that this changes the argument much, but you keep mentioning 320 kbps like that's the popular bitrate. The two most popular online stores that I buy from are iTunes and Amazon.com, and they both sit at 256 kbps for the most part. Apple's 256 kbps might be a wash with 320 kbps MP3. I haven't read enough to know. I doubt I would be able to tell the difference between 256 kbps and lossless for a lot of material. I'd probably have to listen to stuff that was picked to highlight the inadequacies of the lower bitrate. Anyway, I was just nitpicking.

I wasn’t assuming that 320 is all that popular just that it’s the best I’ve found. I actually assumed that 128 was the most common since I get most of my mp3s off internet radio and that is the most often streamed format. I agree that most people wouldn’t be able to tell 256 from lossless either especially considering the systems they are playing it on. For that matter they probably couldn’t tell the difference with 128 either.

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1