What subwoofer are you using right now and how much have you played around with positioning?

Any good subwoofer will produce fairly even bass and should not in and of itself sound unbalanced. However, the room plays a critical role and even thought the subs you listened to were “all in the same corner” they can't actually occupy the same space. Even moving a sub a foot or so on any direction even up can have a big impact on how strongly it energizes different room modes.

Also you mentioned that the crossovers were 60Hz and 80Hx which could make a big difference in the punch you feel. The HSU Mid-bass Module goes from 50Hz-150Hz and like Fred said the “punch” is in the that mid-bass range not down deep. It’s also best produced near the listener so that the direct energy is much stronger than what’s reflected from around the room.

Keep in mind that how the subs are performing in the store will have little bearing on how they will work when you get them home. I’ve had my EP500 in three different rooms and gotten 3 completely different results that I had to tweak to my liking with placement, crossover choices and ultimately equalization. You just can’t judge a subwoofer accurately w/o accounting for the room.

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1