They have definitely sent me back the same launch v1.0 model (or close to it) every time as I have an arcade unit with a white DVD tray, and no HDMI cable. This is what I get back every time. I am sure they do refurbish the model and perhaps mod the heat sinks or some other component to lessen the chance of failure but as many times as it has failed I would guess that whatever the hell they have been doing isn't working. The dates are always much more recent but I am pretty sure that it is just a refurbished and supposedly "improved" launch v1.0 model. No smaller GPU, HDMI, etc. like the current model mobo's have.

My guess is that they don't want to give me extra features (HDMI out) so they just give me refurbed version 1.0's .

The DVD drive has definitely never gotten any quieter from any console I received in return.

I only have the 20 gig HD so there is no way I can run any games off of the unit and I'm not paying an absurd markup for one of their larger drives.

If it wasn't for the better online interface I'd ditch xbox completely.

also, my console is open on all sides and failures have occurred during times of both limited use and extended use.

Edit: Forgot to mention that my original consol used a different power supply than newer models. The first 3 repairs they did not ask for my power supply back so I am pretty sure I was just getting the same v1.0 back. On the 4th repair I think they asked for my power supply indicating that perhaps I got a newer motherboard. The 5th failure they did not ask for the power supply.

-David