Originally Posted By: wbedford
I have an SC-05. I never got the most out of it until I bought a quality SPL meter and read this:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1112470

Yep! Thats exactly how and where I got the best results too! Just fininshed my tweaks last night and now I can say this system is "dailed in". The only thing I did different, or rather added, is:

8) a) Go to Manual MCACC - Channel Level. Using your SPL meter check/adjust each speaker to match "L" channel as reference and/or b)using above approach adjust "L" to 0.0 db and then adjust all other channels to match.

The main difference between "A" and "B" is "A" defaults to 75 db and "B" sets everything to 85 db, at least in my case, YMMV. Since my old system was set to 85 db, the Auto MCACC, "A", by itself used the 75 db reference. This is what was causing me so much grief. I'm used to the higher reference setting, just my personal preference! Nothing wrong with either as I've pointed out below.

Using both "a and b" from above, after following the instructions from AVS forums, yielded excellent results. "A", saved on "M1", method requires the higher volume still and "B" be gets me back to where I was with my old settings, volume wise, saved to M2. Either setting works very well but I left the MCACC on the "B" setting. Now that this system is properly balanced these speakers really show (hear) their true potential.

We watched a couple movies, tv and video's from my HTPC all with very satisfying results...far better than even my old system was! I highly recommend the AVS site to anyone for complete and highly informed information.

Thanks again to everyone who replied!

Now I think I'll treat myself to a "Band of Brothers" marathon...too cold and crappy out to do anything else.

M80's, VP180 and QS8's.
Marantz AV 7005 pre/pro
Outlaw 7700 power amp
SVS SB12 sub