In reply to:

Does that mean that with it set to on, it automatically plays only the DD5.1 track and that to get analog output for "high res" you have to switch it back to off?

Actually no John. I can get both the high res or DD tracks without changing any menu settings.

What i have setup is this:
Onkyo receiver optical 1 slot saved for "DVD" selector
Analog ins, multichannel saved for "CD" selector

When i first played the dvd-a disc, i could get the multichannel analog working just fine. When i switched the selector over to DVD for the optical connection, i got DPLII, not DD or DTS. Only after turning the dvd-video option on in the dvdp, did DD come through on the "DVD" selector (optical digital connection).
Hence, at the present time, i can switch betwen the high res dvd-a format and the DD 5.1 format simply by changing my receiver selector from CD to DVD and truly A/B the 2 formats.
So again, why this option was defaulted to off in the dvdp menu, i have no idea. Nor do i completely understand why the dvd-v setting should be the influence for a DD/DTS track to play from a dvd-a when a normal dvd disc with DD is already auto recognized by my Onkyo receiver.

Now i can play dvd-a, dvd or cds through either the receiver DAC or the dvdp DAC for DD/DTS, regular stereo or the high res multichannel just by pushing 2 buttons (the selector and a multichannel to regular analog button).

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."