Hello SpockTheater

I've been thinking about your post for a while - since no one else has responded, here're my thoughts.

I don't know the NAD amp, but they're well thought of around here for solid state.

I had a 5 watt per channel Antique Sound Labs MG S1 15DT sourced by an Ah! 4000 CDP (tube output CDP). I used it with a pair of M3Tis and was absolutely floored by the goodness of this combination. I tried it with a pair of M22s and did not like it. At the time, I thought there was something wrong with the M22s, but since I've considered the possibility that the M22s just didn't get along with the low powered amp as well as the M3s did. I also used a pair of Michaura M55s which are similar to the M22s in that they have a pair of 5.25" drivers but use a 3/4" titanium tweeter instead of the 1" unit. The M55s sounded even better than the M3s (in most but not all ways - the M3s did a better job of reproducing Stan Getz's horn).

Brings me to the ASL AQ 1001 and 1003. I demoed one of them at Jeff's Sound Values down near San Diego with a pair of BC Acoustique Tibre speakers. Sounded like crap. Problem is, I don't know whether I was listening to a 1001 or a 1003. That's why I haven't replied until now.

Anyway, when I bought the MG S1 15DT from Jeffs, I auditioned that amp with the Acoustiques and the combination was incredibly good. I don't know if there was a problem with the amp (1001 or 1003) or whether the amp just didn't sound as good as the SET S1 15DT.

I just checked the ASL website and saw that the 1003 is not a SET design, so I thought maybe that was what I listened to most recently. In any event, I'd go with a SET design with 15 or more watts per channel if I were going to match it with the M22s. Bottom line, for me, I wouldn't get a solid state amp for 2 channel listening. I'd get a SET tube amp. OR I'd take a shot with a pure digital Flying Mole amp.

Enjoy the Music. Trust your ears. Laugh at Folks Who Claim to Know it All.