OK, here is my situation.
I have just returned (or will as soon as the M60s show up) a pair of M3's because I found that 2 channel stereo with a sub (returned sub already) just lost its effect with music. I am currently using a Pioneer (very low end) vsx-209 60WPC HT receiver. This combination proved to be nearly deafening (due to the high freq) until I happily received a "fix" from Joe V that has made the M3's listenable. I found myself really wanting a full range speaker and ordered the M60's.
Now I want to upgrade my receiver to something that is:
<$500 US
>60WPC
-Not as bright/harsh as current HT receiver so that I can do without the "fix" (resistors on the tweeters)
-Good FM reception (there is a really good jazz station in DC, about 50 miles away that I can only get clear Mono reception with a roof mounted antenae)

I did a trial with a HK AVR320, which was very warm sounding, but even with the M3's sounded too muddy. The HK, even though a clean 55wpc in stereo seemed to have to be up nearly all the way to drive the M3s.

The room I am using is an all knotty-pine (except for a corner fireplace) club basement measuring @ 10x16 with fairly low ceilings so things tend to get boomy very quickly based on speaker placement.
I listen to alot of jazz: Eric Dolphy, Coltrane, Mingus, etc, as well as more contemporary indie/rock music: Radiohead, Weezer, Bowie, etc...

I understand that most HT recievers do not drive stereo very well and right now this is used for 100% music (the only TV in the room is designated for PONG tournaments only!) so it is not much of an issue to get a stereo only unit. I wouldn't complain if I could have a HT receiver for the future as the Pioneer will go in the living room upstairs.

I still plan on some home trials to see which sound best. Does anyone have recomendations that might get better FM reception and be moderately priced? I am just looking to narrow my search without spending too much time (I have an 8 month old that I'd rather spend it with).

Many Thanks,
John