Originally Posted By: Bayne
For several years I've been happily using a Denon 3808CI AVR, but ever since the MRX 700 from Anthem came out, my favorite AV store has been singing the praises of this new receiver. Does anyone out there have one or any opinions of them? I've been told by several Denon converts that the Anthem adds dimensionality to the sound stage.

I'm starting to feel the symptoms of upgrade-itus coming on.

Despite the MRX 700 being an Anthem, it is still just another Chinese made AVR with the only real difference from many of the others is that it features its own "ARC" proprietary Room EQ system(same system that is in the Statement D2 Pre-Pro) which, up until now, the reviewers have been raving about. When it comes to any perceived sound stage superiority, this is probably what they may be referring to.

I did strongly consider purchasing it in the spring, however, at an MSRP of $1900, compared to the competition, it is lacking in a number of common features including a minimal amount of inputs and outputs along with a noticeable surprising absence of 8 channel analog inputs. For those who own a high-end BR player like an Oppo BDP 95 who might prefer to use the analog outs from the player as opposed to the HDMI connection in the AVR, this unit wouldn't be an option.

Last edited by casey01; 01/06/12 04:36 AM.