Murph,

I just checked online; here's a link to a Grado cartridge (or a Shure) that would be appropriate for the tonearm of the turntable you're using. (There are likely online sources in Canada that will carry the same models.)

http://www.needledoctor.com/Grado-Black1-Prestige-Series-Phono-Cartridges?sc=2&category=374

The Shure model I mentioned to you is now called the Shure M97XE, and has the silicone-damped stabilizer brush (highly useful for warped record playback). It's also on the needle doctor site.

These cartridges are offered in "P-mount" or "Standard-mount" versions. The P-mount type is plug-in design, a system that Panasonic and Technics embraced for a time. The cartridge plugs directly into the end of the tonearm, rather than being installed with tiny screws into a tonearm headshell. So check the turntable tonearm to see if it has a separate, detachable headshell or uses the P-mount plug-in cartridge type.

Note also that Grado's term "moving iron--MI" is a moving-magnet design like the Shure. For the tonearm quality you'll be using, get a moving-magnet cartridge. Moving-coil (MC) cartridges usually have much lower output and require an additional stage of pre-amplification which I doubt your Denon receiver has. In any case, MC cartridges are more susceptible to hum pickup and noise. They also have no inherent superiority to moving-magnet types.

If a tracking-force range is recommended, always use the highest tracking force in the range. With the models I suggested, that would be 1.5 grams. Using a lower tracking force may result in "mistracking" on highly modulated (loud) grooves, which will literally carve distortion permanently into the vinyl groove.

Alan

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)