Misfit,

I am currently in the inverse situation as you are describing. I have M60's up front, VP150 for a center and a set of M22's as rears, all in a 5.1 setup. I have only had my Axioms for a bit over two weeks and they blow my previous HTIB speakers out of the water and off the planet. I live in a rent house and did not want to have to hang the QS8's on the walls and then have to fix the holes before moving out. I "plan" on (when we move into our "own" home") to replace my receiver with a 7.1 capable one and adding a set of QS8's in the locations you are describing.

Now, what I can comment on is using the M22's as surrounds. Yes, there is a bit of directionality (is that a word?) but they still throw a very large soundstage (albeit not as "immersive" as the QS8's should), toed in of course... Once I thought that some small creature was behind my chair during the "Journey through the Marshes" scene on LOTR: TT...not to mention the marsh bubbling, rustling noises, etc...

I went with the M22's to try to match the M60's timbre although I have not heard the M2's. BTW, I have the M22's on 28" stands near the rear corners of the room...not the best location but the best afforded by the room.

Just my .02,

WhatFurrer

"Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup..."