Originally Posted By: Powertothepeople
And nobody NEEDS a RIGHT to bear arms in case their government runs amok LOL!

Originally Posted By: tomtuttle
Cam, some people might interpret your comment as belittling the fundamental individual liberties upon which our nation was founded and has flourished for the last 200+ years. Personally, I would hesitate to restate any premise of the Canadian Constitution and end my commentary with "LOL". I mean, I'm not a raving nationalist and I don't own any guns, but disparaging cultures of other nations is not usually friendly territory.

I wasn't commenting on your constitution or country whatsoever. I was EXCLUSIVELY talking about a FREE NATION, which is what was CLEARLY stated; there's more than one free nation in this world the last time I checked.

I specifically laughed because nobody in ANY country needs a right to take up arms against their rogue state.

See, he said "a free people", not the American people.

Originally Posted By: 2x6spds
[u]A free people [/u]must have the right to bear arms or their freedom is at the sufferance of a government with a monopoly on armed force.

Yes, you're usually the voice of reason, and I have a lot of respect for you, but sorry, Tom, you *guys* don't have me this time. Ain't it ironic that people suddenly show up to try to discredit me even more. That's new. My absence from this forum isn't because I'm too busy elsewhere...

The only reasonable argument for owning a gun is to protect yourself from the police.