That's a good review Bob.
Don't concern yourself with the 'unscientific' method behind the listening. It is extremely difficult to control all the variables even in your own home theatre in your own house.
The fact that you calibrated both to the same SPL before 'testing' was excellent. This is by far the leading problem with most reviews by ppl reporting on their findings after returning from the box stores or even after trying to A/B speakers in their home (be it with speakers OR with other components).

I'm not suprised that the differences between the two subs were rather minimal. The very quality of low bass notes is more difficult to the human ear to distinguish and isolate. I had the chance to audition a Klipsch sub not too long ago and i compared it directly against my EP350. It took quite some time in listening to a set of low bass notes in a music passage over and over to figure out one small difference, the EP350 did not sound quite as muddy (the bass did not linger as long...hence the word 'tighter' in its description). But that was about it. In turning up the crossover on each of the subs such that i could listen to music playback up to the 200Hz range (something i despise allowing the sub to do b/c of the generally fudgy sound), about the only conclusion i could make was the same thing, the EP350 was a bit tighter in bass.

I have watched (and own) Finding Nemo and i have played that Darla scene that so many ppl have talked about. I can gleefully report that my EP350 produces no strange squeaky oily noise. Given the fact you mentioned it occurred (although somewhat differently) with your Hsu sub, then perhaps it is something in your listening room (took me a week to figure out which if my drop ceiling panels was rattling). It may also be the sound of Darla's finger squeaking against the glass of the tank as she taps, perhaps something you never noticed before until you purchased those fine set of Axiom speakers.
Someone else who has the movie can doublecheck this. I am off to a hockey right now otherwise you know i would do it myself.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."