I think the thing about URC is that it has whatever you program it to do. It has always done "activities", if you set it up to do so. For instance....

If I hit the button on my main screen with the picture of the DVD player, it correctly activates my HDMI switch, BR player, receiver, TV etc and also sets the receiver to accept the audio signal type being sent from the BR player, typically a standard or HD 5.1 format. The 'TV on' part of the macro includes the 'manual double click trick' to ensure the TV is actually turned on, not off, because I still have yet to look up it's discrete code for this. (luckily the trick programmed for my old TV still works with my new model)

Finally, it takes me to a screen where I have programmed buttons for all my other custom tasks that I might do when watching a DVD. These tasks are not device specific to the BR player. For instance, I have a button to bump up the center channel 1.5 db and another to reset it back.

In contrast,
If I press the button showing a CD, it activates all the same gear but locks the sound format to 'stereo with sub,' which is currently my preference for stereo recorded music. It completes with taking me to another set of screens with CD listening specific tasks. For instance, I have a button to return from 'stereo' back to a 'Dolby surround mode,' just in case JohnK is knocking at my door. I don't want to get caught in stereo.....

Whatever you choose to call it, both products have always done 'activities'. It's just how you set them up that differs.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.