Originally Posted By: Murph
TO be fair though, I think it would not have been doing him justice if the more 'official' announcement didn't mention his disability. It does represent a level of courage that should be commended.

I honestly don't see how it represents a level of courage that transcends that of anyone else in the boat. The fact is that we quadriplegic's can sail. The fact is that quadriplegic's can drown (albeit even in a puddle...). This is no different from the able-bodied people in his crew. Is it more taxing? Without a doubt. But, it's not superhuman or superquadriplegic LOL.

Now, if a C4-5 complete quadriplegic was going to attempt something impossible (or seemingly so) like walking (maybe I'll try tomorrow smile ), but he landed flat on his face, then he should definitely be commended.

Originally Posted By: brwsaw
...it would be interesting to hear the rest of the story.
Specifically whether he had the opportunity to practice with the team through out the season and just couldn't fill the position but was given the last shot anyway.
Regardless it would have been encouraging for him I'm sure.

I concur, concur, concur.

The only reasonable argument for owning a gun is to protect yourself from the police.