I completely agree that LEDs make more sense than CF. I really have no love for CF as their light quality is poor as well IMO, thou they do diffuse similarly to incandescents. 6500k is way to high for me. At that freq lights get a blue tint to them that I just can't stand. I am looking forward to LEDs to continue to develop and drop in price. I'm just not yet happy with them especially at their price point.

As for life expectancy, for lights that are just used as needed (kitchen, dinning, bedrooms, hallways) I've found CF fail more often than incandescents, at least the ones I've had. When I hear people talk about incandescents failing after 6mo or so I question the use because that is not my experience. In my 3 year old house I have a mixture of incandescents and CF doing similar duties and have replaced far more CF bulbs. The only incandescents I've had to replaced were ones that got "bumped" which I will concede is a weakness of those type. The other downside to them is heat. I will conceed that during the summer I try hard to keep them dimmed in my HT room because there is no place for the heat to escape the room on days when we're not needing to run the AC for rest of the house.