I've noticed the same thing with my 22s. I can't speak to your situation, but here's what I think is going on in my case.

First, I have a side wall which seems to reflect the highs considerably. I have two large movie posters on that wall in frames with glass, and I think they add to this bounce. I'm thinking of hanging a tapestry, or something absorbing to minimize the reflection. Be sure you're not getting some additional bounce from the room itself.

Secondly, these are VERY accurate speakers. I think a lot of music material is mixed with a boost in the highs and/or mids to offset average speakers which are slightly deficient in these areas. I've talked to recording engineers who say they mix through small speakers because that is what most people listen to at home and in the car. What is on the disk is what you hear with these speakers. I believe this is a factor because I don't experience this "harshness" from every source. I never experience it with DVDs, and only some CDs.

You might try turning the volume down just a little. I was accustomed to cranking the volume to get the best of the mids and highs from my old speakers. I don't have to do that with the Axioms. I can listen at lower volume and still be amazed by the clarity and spaciousness of these speakers.

Be sure you've properly calibrated your speaker setup.

Give yourself a little time to get used to these remarkable speakers. They aren't perfect, but they are well worth the money.

Good luck.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton