Originally Posted By: brwsaw
Procrastination and fits of disappointment aside we're a day or so from building a few walls and hanging drywall.
I had decided against drywall that absorbs sound ($95.00 per sheet) but thought I would get an opinion or two first.
Is there anything to be gained over a second layer of standard drywall that justifies the cost?

Now, not that I know anything ;), but what are you wanting to accomplish?

More drywall won't actually absorb sound. As for sound absorbing drywall, really it is a "drywall sandwich" of sorts. Two dense layers (many are two traditional drywall layers others have 1 traditional drywall layer and a second dense layer) and a visco-elastic layer in the middle. And it doesn't usually help with the acoustic in the room, but it does help with keeping sounds in (or out) of the room. Two different subjects (soundproofing vs. acoustics).

That is the "pre-made" version of the super popular DD+GG (Double Drywall + Green Glue) that many people do. In fact, the DD+GG should yield the same if not better sound dampening for a LOT less money, but makes a little more mess and is a little more DIY obviously.

Green Glue is starting to be offered at more home improvement stores making it easy to get. The cheapest is still to order by the big 5 gallon buckets, but you will also need one of the "speedloader" type of caulk guns. It is easier to go with the tubes, but it takes a lot more than you think.

Again, let me know what you are wanting to accomplish, and I can draft a game plan.

Farewell - June 4, 2020