Good timing for this post. I'm in a similar situation.

I'm looking for a 40 or 42 inch second TV for the bedroom to replace and old 25" tube TV (bought in 1996 baby!).

1. Budget - $500? I haven't kept up with the market since I bought a Sony A2000 years ago. Budget is not a hard number, but keep in mind this is a secondary TV that won't be used a lot.

2. Seating distance - On the bed across the room. ~11 feet.

3. Size - It will go on top of a chest of drawers that measures 42" width, and I don't want the edges of the TV to stick out past the edge of the chest, which is why I said not more than a 42" screen, which will actually come in a little less than that width wise.

4. Use - TV and Netflix. Prefer wired ethernet, but wireless could work too. Anything support wireless AC yet? Don't expect to ever have a Blu Ray/DVD hooked up to this TV.

5. There are multiple light sources in the room, including an overhead that can be dimmed. Most watching will be at night, so outside lighting should not be a factor.

If something other than LCD makes sense I'm ok with that too. Overall, looking for a quality TV that won't break the bank.