Yesterday I posted I'd be happy with 11.1 and I would be, no doubt. It was meant as a joke, to some extent.

Really, I should say I'm very impressed with how well the 3 towers work in my room with subs but no surrounds in the mix.
Several times now we've turned of the surrounds off while watching content off the satellite, keeping "Drama" as the output on the AVR.
In turn I've also lowered the volume from my typical -20 for movies to the -30 I'd otherwise use for 2.0 music (when its just me and my selection of music). I might adjust the volume a little depending on the loudness of the commercials or the quietness in the program but -30 is an average we've learned to enjoy in this quite room with the nice imaging/fullness/realism/surround we're experiencing.
The boys have logged much more time than me in this new room than me, all 3.1 listening (except with the PS4 which outputs 7.1 in pure direct).
Good news, very happy with the HP's.
Bad news, at -30, I'm probably only using 1 watt per channel from my ADA.
Good news, I still own an ADA and may even consider another so I can add a XMC-1 to the mix.
Will need to get through a few movie nights to see if I can find a happy medium between the imaging from the front and the addition of surrounds first.