Mac, I'll add some comments to the good replies above. Your language hints that you may be expecting a heavier bass than is really natural. Most of the setups I've heard have the bass level set too high because they want to "hear" the sub that they paid good money for. The impression should actually be that the sub isn't working but that the other speakers are putting out more bass. Of course it's your money and your choice.

On setting up the 1400, I'd suggest that you follow what the manual prescribes for THX speakers, i.e. set YPAO to skip the speaker size and crossover settings and instead manually set all speakers "small" with an 80Hz crossover. This will result in the lowest frequencies going to SWFR alone, not "both".

On the YPAO equalization settings, I'd suggest that you at least try setting the emphasis to "low" rather than "flat". In assisting a colleague with his new 2400, the additional frequency correction this gave to the upper bass area seemed to be of benefit. This might not be the case in your room, but it wouldn't be unusual for the upper bass/lower midrange area to need more equalization than higher frequencies.

Last edited by JohnK; 04/10/04 02:57 AM.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.