Originally Posted By: Serenity_Now
Screens choicesare most important for gain vs hot spotting balance given throw distances...

Is hotspotting something that only happens with higher gain screens?
Quote:

When it comes to PJ screen reviews, forums like AVS or hometheatershack have a good base of info and active community.

That's pretty much what I am relying on right now (cuz, you know, Mark isn't showing up in this thread to impart his vast projector knowledge on me...). From what I understand, there are three possible issues with lower end screens: sparkle, hot spotting and texture.

The thing is, I have no idea what sort of range there is to any of these effects or how much they are going to bother me.
Quote:

If you are in a dedicated space, a fixed frame is the way to go for sure. I wouldn't get too hung up on the screen. Even entry level screens can produce a great picture once the PJ is calibrated after lamp break in.

In my current layout, the screen is actually 6 feet into my living room, so I would need to find a way to flip up a fixed screen. I was originally thinking of building my own screen using an extruded aluminum framing system, but if I can buy a decent screen at a reasonable price, I'd rather do that.

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!