Originally Posted By: fredk
Things change over time and the demand for processing power just keeps going up. It has ever since my first computer way back in the early '80s.

I have concluded that trying to futureproof yourself is simply an act in futility and I have wasted more good money than saved in the vane process of trying to do so.

I remember getting into video animation when younger and buying a $15000 on a dedicated hardware video animation station in the early 90's that could take individual animation cells from a PC and string them together to play in realtime. Was mind blowing and considering that systems like the AVID cost easily in the hundreds of thousands thought it was a steal. Then 5 years later you could do it easily with a $300 consumer video card on a home computer. If I had only invested that money into some real estate in High Park I would be a multi-millionare now.

I bought a top of the line laptop 6 years ago thinking it would last me 3-4 years, only to see my dual core be overshadowed by a quad core 7 months later, and by the end of 2 years the laptop is now considered obsolete.

It is far cheaper to buy trailing edge tech at discount that does what you need now, and replace it every year, than buy leading edge in the hopes it will still be good in 2-3 years. You end up with better hardware over the same time period, and it actually ends up costing you far less.

Anthem: AVM60, Fosi DAC-Q5
Axiom: ADA1500, LFR1100 Actiive, QS8, EP500, M3, M3comp, M5