I have over 450 full blu-ray rips (in .MKV format) and they average just over 27GB each. I have 2 server apps running on my media server. MediaBrowser 3 which works great with anything that needs to be transcoded as it can do it on the fly with multiple movies at the same time, but I stopped using MediaBrowser on my HTPC because of a couple of issues that I was running into... Forced subtitles (like when aliens are speaking, etc) wouldn't work. It was always on or off, and only in MediaBrowser. Other programs using the same LAV filters and such worked fine. It also doesn't support exclusive mode for MadVR video processing, so turning on MadVR to get even better images would cause noticeably dropped frames.

I am now using JRiver Media Center as my "other" server software and the main software on the HTPC. I liked a lot of the bells and whistles of MediaBrowser right out of the box, but if it can't do some of the basics that are key to watching most (subtitles) or all (MadVR) movies, then what was the point.

I use MakeMKV to rip the movies and subtitles at full 100% quality. It works around the copy protection, so no need (or desire) for other software like AnyDVD, etc to get around that.

Farewell - June 4, 2020