How to seal your granite counter top:

Of course they use a product that they sell and then later on their own website talk about how today's modern sealers last 10-15 YEARS with just one application. (The "they" that I am talking about is: these guys )

Then again, they have this chart on their website too (keep in mind that they promote granite as THE best material).

So it looks like the people that are promoting granite like quartz just as much.

Have I helped you at all yet? No? Darn....

I like the look of granite, but at the same time the uniform surface (smooth) is nice with the quartz. The granite, like all natural stone IS porous, and porous areas will be more difficult to truly disinfect. Not saying that they can't be, but heck, I can't hardly get my wife or kids to take 10 seconds to clean a surface, let alone disinfect it. That is where quartz is nice. It is ground up bits of rock (including granite) that is mixed with a resin type material to make a sealed, and usually perfectly smooth surface without pores. That means less for the nasty germs to penetrate in to. But sometimes I find that the quartz looks TOO uniform in color... Perfectly blended and mixed by a machine that it loses the character that granite offers.

Both are great products. My parents have granite, my in-laws have granite, heck, we would probably go granite if given the choice, but we would have to be a little more diligent with letting the cleaner soak in long enough to disinfect better, but that should be teachable.

My advice, which you can toss out with today's trash and I wouldn't be upset, would be to get what you think LOOKS good. If it looks the way you want, then you will adjust to whatever you need to in order to have the look. If you go with the one that you find more "functional" or "cheapest" but not your first choice by looks, you will be reminded of that every time to look at the kitchen, or have to use the counters for something.

Farewell - June 4, 2020