In reply to:

Digital compression and Dialog Normalization are both part of Dolby Digital technology.

Hummm, very interesting! FWIW, my Sony DA4ES has digital compression with 12 settings (Off, Std., 0.1 - 0.9, & High) - I leave it set to Std. There is no dialog compression or normalization on my receiver.

FWIW, I've been playing around with my equalizer and digital compression settings and am finding that my dialog is sounding fairly good now. OTOH, good dialog is also a function of the recording, as well as the system, and I'm also finding that not all recordings are equal as far as dialog is concerned. Now if I could just tell when the problem is a bad recording vs. a system problem with my hardware and/or software, I'd have the problem licked!

On the subject of digital compression - I find it interesting how many people prefer DTS to DD! I may be all wet on this, but to my ears there is no difference between DTS (no digital compression option on my receiver), or DD played with the digital compression off. I bet if some of those who prefer DTS were to simply turn off their DD compression, they would find the sound more to their liking!

- Bill