Originally Posted By Mojo
My point is that sub integration with the actives may be challenging. Toe in helped me but it may not help you. Toe in helped with infrasonics but I am not happy with the soundstage for music. The battle continues. One day I may be as happy with the actives in my basement as I am with the M2OW in my living room. That day is far off. frown

When setting up subwoofers, particularly within the context of a stereo system, I have never concerned myself with group delay or the absolute difference in phase angle between the mains and the sub(s) due to differences in distance. Why? Because I have not found that it has made much of a difference. My basic setup technique is to get the main speakers placed where they are sounding good and place the subwoofer where it's convenient. Play a STEREO track with well recorded acoustic bass, preferably plucked like you will find in many jazz arrangements. Something with a good bass solo or minimal instrumentation is ideal. Turn it up to a decent but not loud level and go over and kneel by the sub. Set the phase control to the zero position and move your head toward the main speakers. Listen to the tone of the bass notes. Now move the phase control a quarter turn. Did the tone of the notes get more defined? Are they thinner or fuller? If they are thinner the original position was best. I find that in many setups I can actually rotate the phase control slowly and you will hear a point where the bass between the mains and the sub "locks". Now move to your main listening position and repeat the track. Does the bass sound full and well-defined? If it does you've found your sweet spot.

Thanks,

Andrew