I looked at it from a different angle.

The DSP comes with a power switch at the back of the unit. That will hard turn on and off the unit. On the front of the unit they have a switch that will toggle the DSP into standby mode that I assume is using far less power than with the DSP running full power. How much I have not measured, but I do have a Kill-A-Watt device that will log power usage that is a pretty simple device for tracking the parasitic voltage usage. Everything now seems to go with this 'EnergyStar' approved standby mode that really isn't off.

Now I am not sure where Ian and Andrew are going on about the 12v concern. If you ask me it's not really their side to worry about. My Anthem AV60 comes with a pathetic 40ma 12v trigger. that is just about enough to trigger a single external device like an external amp, or a single Subwoofer. but you are shit out of luck if you were trying to trigger anything more. With my old passive LFR1100 with a pair of ADA1000 and 2 EP500 subs, I couldn't get them all to be controlled by that single trigger. it was hopeless for me. Anthem came up with some lame ass excuse as to why it was so small. I guess they were trying to use a common set of parts between the AV60 and their 3 receivers that have the amps built in. There logic was someone would only have a single sub so who needed more power than to trigger that. Not thinking that anyone buying a PreAmp definitely would. The next two models that replaced the AV60 have two 150ma 12v triggers. Guess it was a big enough problem for them to change. So my solution to the issue was to make my own. I had 2 additional amps beyond the ADA1000 that didn't have any trigger, so I bought a 15amp 12v relay board off Amazon and wired it up with a 3.5mm trigger port in to control the relay. On the other side of the relay I had a standard electrical plug wired inline with a 12v power supply to power 3 additional trigger ports out. That gave me a 12v 1000ma for triggering just about anything and everything over whatever distance as there is more than enough power.

So for me the 12v trigger voltage isn't an issue and shouldn't be a concern for Ian or Andrew as its not their equipment that is giving it, so they should just assume that the person who is connecting it knows what they are doing.

The second part for me is more interesting. They have put a standby switch onto the front of the unit. Now I don't know how that is powered. But I can assume that it must be a similar setup for the DSP as they have on the Amps. It definitely turns something on and off as you can hear clicking, so perhaps it is powering some relay inside the unit. I haven't pulled it apart and didn't particularly want to. But as they have all ready got a similar setup on the amp, i can only assume that they can do the same thing linking that switch back to a 12v trigger. The part about longevity then has me asking the question. Are they saying that force turning the DSP on and off and cutting the power supply off completely will reduce the life of the equipment then that would be far more of a reason to put in a 12v trigger. Right now they have a standby and as such must feel that going in and out of standby is far better for the unit that hard on/off at the power supply.

If I was to put the two units onto a controlled switch at the power side, be is a smart switch of some sort or a relay controlled power outlet with a trigger, i am still stuck as just turning on and off the power will not automatically turn on the unit. From a power off to on, the unit goes directly into standby mode until the front toggle switch is pushed. The way the amps get around this is by the 12v trigger at the back. So we are again back to why did Axiom cheep out on the Active DSP? They put a nutsack jingler option onto a Sub for Mojo, how hard would it be to put a 12v trigger for the rest of us?

Last edited by Slava_Ukraini; 06/16/22 01:23 AM.

Anthem: AVM60, Fosi DAC-Q5
Axiom: ADA1500, LFR1100 Actiive, QS8, EP500, M3, M3comp, M5