Originally Posted by TrevorM
A nifty way we control items in a “smart” way without a smart remote is a master controlled power strip. Cabinet fans, amps, lighting etc…. The main component triggers others on. Simple. You can use a preamp as the master device for example.
Some problems to think about with the strip
  • I've experienced a loud transient sound when I shut off power without hitting the front switch ...
    So, you'd need the trigger connected and the power strip would need a delay. How much delay ... don't know.
  • When turning on I suspect you might want to have two strips with different delay times to limit in-rush ...
    Not sure one exists (but I haven't looked).
  • It might also be desirable to put in a slow-start circuit to increase the life of the amp. If Axiom doesn't do it I might ... I think it would be prudent to pass any changes by axiom before installing it though ... and if you're going that far might as well take all the above and put it in the amp with a variable delay knob in the back of the cabinet (to stagger the amps when powering up.
  • Think shutting down the DSP before the amp is ok ... haven't had a problem yet ... but I always try and shut the amps off first. Also starting up the DSP should be ok with out the slow start ... but I'd leave that for others to call (as I have not measured it).