Buses are 'ok'. They are never on time. Just go to the stop and wait for the next one. It might say 7:30, but the bus will be along when it gets there. Muni (street cars or underground) are ok. I would recommend taking cabs. Just try not to get not to get the one that has the bong rolling out from under the seat (no bs) or the one where the guy asks if you know where he can get an 8ball of meth. But to be fair I had a 2 year period where I took a cab once a day (oh i miss the .com expense account) and those are only 2 out of hundreds. Have no fear Most are either quiet or really nice.
As far as the touristy stuff goes. It's hard to say. I have lived here for 8years and not done much of it. Hit the Golden Gate bridge and walk accross. The view is amazing. Fisherman's wharf is the ultimate tourist trap, but interesting and you might get to meet the bush man.
Lombard is pretty if you really want to go you can catch a steetcar to the top.
China town is worth a walk through but also sells a LOT of SF touristy stuff (get your gifts there, cheaper than fisherman's wharf).
I have yet to go to Alcatraz. I'm saving that for when my brother comes to visit next month. Also, Angel island is a good day trip if you are the outdoorsy type (hiking or rent a bike).

Or, you can rent a car and drive up/down Highway 1. That is an amazing thing to do. It's very easy to imagine you are James Dean in your porsche driving into the sunset of a huge hollywood movie.

jr

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." C Hitchens