Well, my M60's arrived earlier yesterday morning (order placed Tue - INCREDIBLE service!)and I eagerly unwrapped the gigantic boxes and stared in amazement at the beauty of seeing these in the flesh. Wow!

After hooking them up, I was hugely disapointed, but I can't help wondering if it's more about my setup then the quality of the speakers themselves, as every review I've read seems to be describing a very different listening experience. What I'm hearing is tough to describe, but far from ideal: Clean yet a little muddy and almost compressed sounding (as if the soundstage elements were all crammed to fit into the same place). The highs are impressive but the midrange is blah and undefined, with details that can clearly be heard on my Mission M74i's (by all accounts a far less detailed speaker in every way)getting almost lost in the din. Surely this can't be right? I really want to love these babies!

Now, I'm powering the M60's with a Yamaha RX-V1300. The speakers are placed (a good few feet from the wall on either side)at the head of a long rectangular room roughly 12 x20. There is wall to wall carpeting and the back of the room has a staircase, which I'd imagine can impact accoustics. Further, one of the long walls opens into a full bathroom with tiled flooring, which I'd assume can also create accoustical havoc. The only furnishings are two couches and lots of shelving.

On the other end, my Missions are in a room with hardwood flooring and minimal furnishings, which should usually create trouble but the slight echo created by the room actually enhances the musicality of the system, oddly enough. In contrast, the Axioms seem uncomfortably cold and less detailed, albeit with better highs. I'm going to try bringing the Missions downstairs to see how they sound in the Axiom room.

Any advice on what I can change in the Axiom room to bring out the best in the M60's?