i agree with furrer.. take a look at the full metal bracket.

this bracket has 2 swivel points, so you can mount it to the ceiling, the wall, or the floor(if you wanted to).. then, with its swivel ability, you can tilt it up or down, left or right, or side to side. on the pics you provided, it appears you have an exposed beam ceiling, so that is perfect. you can screw the brackets directly into the cross members and the speakers will be up, and to the sides, which is the best placement. now granted, they will be what could be considered a little high, but, you can angle them down toward the listening position, and they should sound great.. and as i have mentioned bafore, the QS8's 4 way firing speakers, create a very enveloping sound that will make up for 'non-perfect' placement.

now, if you(or dad) is just totally against the side mount idea, then put the speakers on the back wall at 6-7ft high, and just an equal distance apart.. as a reference, i would put the right surround about 6 inches to a foot from the right wall, then measure its distance to directly above the listening position.. then just put the left surround that exact same distance from directly above listening position.

good luck, but i still think you could use the FMB and be happier. plus, you could easily tuck the wires up into the crossbeams,and hide them..

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??