In reply to:

Kid, CDs require a laser with a wavelength of about 780nm to be read accurately, while DVDs(as well as DVD-As and SACDs)require one of about 650nm. However, for years CD/DVD players have used dual 780/650nm lasers which are optimal for reading each type if disc. A separate CD player has no advantage in sound quality.

With all your profound knowledge I respectfully do not agree with you. We have thread on this before and I see you point when you compare a $100-$800 player ... not much difference. But when you compare your everyday $100 DVD/CD player to like a Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista player I would definitely disagree. I do not know if you have visited your local shop 'lately' but you should bring in your player and compare it against something in the likes of the above or any player from Krell, Classe, Cary audio and see if your ear can not tell the difference. Unless you have actually tried to do that lately your thinking behind having a separate CD player has no advantage in sound quality is pure bunk.

Convenience is convenience but what Kid was asking is there was any sound advantage (if any) was possible. If he was going to spend under $800 sure...there not much difference...but players in $800+ can really be surprising...maybe not gigantic differences but subtle differences nonetheless.

Even using my Cambridge CD player via optical which uses my Pioneer Elite 43TX DACs sounds different than using the same CD players DACs going through a passive preamp sound different. I have it always on A/B mode so I would challenge anyone to demo them at my place and see if they do not hear any difference. All someone has to do is come over.