Hey folks, I'm thinking of building a system using a number of stereo / multichannel amps (ie: OnkyoM282; HK PA2000/4000) to allow for future flexibility and try to minimize the cost of staying up to date with reciever technology by connecting them to a cheap AVR, which can be replaced on a semi regular basis (couple of years).

My question is can I connect a reciever ( like the Sony
STR-DE697 and use it as a processor/preamp ) which has no Pre Amp outputs to a couple of amps, say for the front L + R? Or do I have to have PreAmp outputs?

Would there be difficulty in adjusting SPL levels with such an arrangment?

If I can do this what if any problems would this create over an all-in-one reciever.

The reason I ask is it seems that only the real expensive recievers have the PreAmp outputs which wouldn't make any sense to purchase as the whole point would be to invest in some good clean power and update the reciever on a semi-regular basis to stay abreast of the latest sound processing and newest connections (like firewire )ect.

What bothers me about the AVR thing is spending alot of money on a good one (like the 3805 which I'm considering)with good amplification and then later on replacing it with another one ( and repurchasing more internal amplification )just to get the latest and greatest features of contemparary AVR's.

Hope this makes sense and thanks for the advice in advance.

Cheers, Michael