yes, you can do that.. if your dvd player has 5 channel audio out, rca style, you can connect each of the audio out's on the dvd player to a corresponding channel on the amp, and then just run your video cable directly do your tv.. there is nothing wrong with doing this, however, you will miss out on the extra processing that a receiver will provide, and the video switching capabilities of a receiver.., however you don’t need it.. I only use my receiver for audio processing/switching, my receiver does no video processing/switching for me, I have external components that do that for me.. but that’s just the way the situation worked out for me… so you can have no receiver, and be just fine, or have a receiver and end up only using ½ of it like I am…

you might want to look into getting a marantz mm9000, its a very good 5 channel ht amp, thats what i and a few other's on this board have, and we all love out amps...

By the way, what is the reason for opting out of the receiver, your looking at NAD stuff, and that is semi expensive, so I would not think you would be wanting to skip the receiver do to financial restrictions….

Just wondering.