2 channel of multi?

I have 2 HT systems, both component sytems. One is pretty pricey, one not. I prefer the not too pricey to the pricier. If I had it to do over again, I'd go less pricey all around.

Big system -

Integra DTC 9.4 processor
Onkyo M504 2 channel amp for front M60 like speakers
Anthem PVA-5 5 channel amp
Nice system.

Here's the over achiever of the two!!!

Folks, this is the single best value of any piece of HT equipment I've ever purchased - Sony TA E9000ES processor -$499 B stock new from ebay. Value quality rating on a scale of 1-10? I give it a 100!! (upgraded with firmware updates 1.18c, 2.01 and 2.50!!)

Amps - Yamaha M80. Value quality rating on a scale of 1-10? I give this one a 100 as well. (paid $100 after seeing it listed in our local classifieds.)
2 Onkyo M282 2 channel amps for side surrounds and center. (can be had for $209 each B stock on Onkyo website, sometimes a bit less on ubid.com) 4 M22 like Michaura M55s, very highly modified center channel speaker based on Axiom made Merak MC6H. Bargain? This system is an outrageous bargain. Processor and 3 x 2 channel amps all for waaay less than the cost of the Integra processor. The Anthem PVA5 added another great big hunk of change to the cost of the big system.

Anyway, friends, a good 5.1 system doesn't really give up much to a 7.1 system in sound quality. A high quality 5.1 sounds better than a lesser quality 7.1. Price does not necessarily buy you sound quality. This is of course axiomatic to Axiom owners.

So, although you didn't ask, here's my recommendation to folks who are about to spend a chunk of change on a nice $1000+ Denon, Onkyo, etc. receiver - don't.

Get yourself a nice Sony TA E9000ES B stock processor with the champagne color face plate 4 M22s or a pair of M60s up front and a pair of M22s in the side position, and if you must go 7.1, get a pair of QS8s for the back position.

In my big system, I followed the conventional wisdom and got a pair of QS8s for side surrounds and a pair of M2e's for the back position. I wouldn't do that again!

QS8s, or if you want to save yourself some money, QS4s, or if you want to save much more money and not give up much if any sound quality, go find a pair of used Mission 77ds bipole surround speakers for the back surrounds, and more of the same for the side surrounds as well!!

Don't buy fancy expensive multi channel amps - go out and scour your local classifieds, estate sales, or whatever for some really high end 2 channel used amps, get a bunch of them, and you will have a spectacular system.

If you REALLY want to save some money, go out and buy a Panasonic XR 45 5 channel digital amp for about $300 (list 400) and laugh at folks like me who have spent an order of magnitude more for an Integra DTC 9.4 and Anthem PVA5.

For a 2 channel system, I love my tube system, and tube output CDP. If I were on a budget and had to do it again, I would still get this system. If I didn't want to spend this much money on a 2 channel system, I'd get a Panasonic XR 45, use it as a 2 channel, a pair of M3Tis, a used Velodyne CHT10 sub and a Sony DVP 685 and use it as a 2 channel source.
Just a few thoughts. Your opinions may differ.

If I had it to do again,

Last edited by 2x6spds; 08/22/04 06:34 AM.

Enjoy the Music. Trust your ears. Laugh at Folks Who Claim to Know it All.