Daphoid,
That is indeed an odd location in which you have your subwoofer, although understandable given your room limitations. Your sub is one huge unit!

As i said, i'm not sold on the concept of different firing direction, and so far from what i've heard with my EP350 turned on the pucks, it made no difference. (I would need a second EP350 to do some real A/B testing). However, proximity to items such as a soft bed will certainly affect the movement of air so it is hard to say. When i tested my EP350 sideways, it was no closer than 1.5-2ft from walls. Perhaps a more general thought would be to state, if a subwoofer, not constrained by close surfaces, would likely have little difference in low frequency sound regardless of the driver firing direction.

A secondary consideration is also distance from the subwoofer itself. If you ever sit next to a sub when it is playing a solid passage, the air movement creates an uncomfortable pressure within the ear, hence you know you are close to the sub and depending on which ear has the most pressure, you can localize a general location. Moving further away alleviates this effect and creates a more ubiquitous sound. Only when i'm within about 5-7 feet of the EP350 can it be localized easily by ear. If it is too loud however, i get a bit of port chuff and it gives itself away.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."