OK, trolling for ideas here. Bought a pair of M2i's about a month ago and liked them so much I tossed out my old stereo speakers, added a sub, and hooked the DVD player up to the receiver. Enjoying the combination immensely, both for music and DVDs.

Even after a couple of weeks of tweaking, however, I still find the M2s seem to image exquisitely with the sub switched off and only "pretty good" with the sub switched on. Could be the placebos again, of course, trying to quit. Right now I have the sub hooked in between pre-out and main-in on the HK3270 receiver which improved the sound at medium volumes (by trimming bass out of the mains) but seemed to make the imaging a bit worse.

I weakened and ordered a pair of M60s, which came in today. The obvious first step is to disconnect everything, plug the m60s in and go nuts listening to all my CDs again, but I wouldn't mind doing a bit of A/B testing between (M2+sub) vs. (M60) or (M60+sub). The problem, of course, is that the M2s and M60s will probably need different cutoff freqs and sub levels.

I think the only option is to take the sub's crossover out of the loop, connect the sub back to "sub out" on the receiver, hook both speakers up then A/B while fiddling with sub settings between A and B.

1. Does anyone know how the "sub out" jacks on an HK3270 receiver are wired ? Any crossover, for example ?

2. Are the sub-out jacks active for both A and B speakers (I'll try this) ? If so, that probably makes for some interesting listening in the A room if your B speakers are on another floor...

3. Are there any obvious tricks I'm missing re: changing sub settings between M2 and M60 ? I think I'm gonna have to fiddle the controls each time, just hoping I'm missing something obvious.

If anyone has any "M2 vs M60" questions (why in the world would anyone have M2 vs M60 questions ??) fire away...

Thanks,
JB

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8