I apologize if I'm breaching netiquette rules in cross-posting this from another forum, but it got hijacked a bit on the other forum and I'm really curious as to this forums' thoughts:

Anyone ever noticed how many reviewers and manufacturers use this term? If so many speakers are really better than others that are much more expensive, doesn't it get to the point where the lower price IS the standard and the others are just overpriced?

I've often found that line amusing, though I don't think it's ever meant to mislead. I've been keeping an eye out for new speakers along the lines of Axioms, Definitives, Paradigms, etc... and it seems like they're ALL truly an excellent value in comparison to years' past. I remember when a NICE set of speakers (2) were many thousands of dollars; it DOES seem as though speakers that are much less expensive than that now approach the same fidelity.

I usually get in much more trouble (regretfully-wise!) by under-purchasing, not over-purchasing. I'm mostly leaning towards a system being fronted by Axiom 60's, but I can't seem to wrap my head around the idea of an $800/pr. speaker being as good as I would hope other speakers costing many times the price would sound.....

I don't want to spend more money needlessly; I just don't want to outgrow them in a short while either.

To those of you that have enjoyed this hobby for a reasonable number of years:

Are speakers REALLY that much better than they used to be? How do some of these sub-$1,000 speakers sound to you in comparison to how you remember some of those multi-thousand dollar classics of yesteryear?

Jeeesh, I'm only 40.... Maybe THAT's why I'm starting to ramble. Next step? Mumbling incoherently while shuffling down the street in my bathrobe and slippers.... Axiom's under each arm....

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::