I have not heard M3s but I am back to having M2s as my mains upstairs. My guess is that the music you will be listening to makes a difference here. On acoustic jazz the M2s don't seem to give up a thing in the bass area -- you can listen to them for days and never feel you were missing any bass, but on rock content they definitely sound "thin" on the low end.

My understanding is that in terms of "real" bass the M22s and M3s are not all that different, but the M3 tends to sound better as an all-round full-range speaker because of a very slight emphasis in the mid-bass, just enough to make it sound better as a full-range speaker. The M22 doesn't have that slight mid-bass emphasis and is strictly speaking more accurate but without a sub the M3s are probably going to sound a bit better as an all-round speaker on a wide range of material.

That's how I understand it anyways. I can give you M2 vs. M60 comparisons all day but don't have M3s or M22s so this is nothing more than an attempt to summarize and "value-weight" all the posted comments on the speakers.

I went with M2s which I love, assuming that I would add a sub as a next step, but have to admit that M3s would probably have been a better choice for me since I ended up running them stand-alone anyways.

As the last poster said the M22s will probably sound closer to your M60s than the M3s will but a lot of people have also commented that they PREFER the slightly "gentler" M3/M40 sound in their bedroom because the purpose of the system is slightly different. Good luck with your choice. In your case I would probably still lean towards M3s.

[EDIT] I re-read your first post and chopped a bunch of stuff out of my post as a result

Last edited by bridgman; 10/10/04 01:12 PM.

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8