Although many in these forums continue to only suggest one course of action for setting up a subwoofer (turning the mains to small and the sub cross all the way up allowing the receiver to handle the crossover typically around 80hz), i think home users should be given the other options and allow themselves to make the decision on what sounds best.
The "right" way of doing it is the way in which it sounds best to the individual user and no one should be told otherwise.

With that in mind, i do not prefer this 'standard' method for setting up a sub and i personally use my mains set to 'large' in the receiver with a reduced sub crossover.
The integration is smooth and the bass is taken up more by the main speakers and less by the subs. Only much lower sounds are enhanced by the sub in the range where the mains do begin to trail off. For me, this works well for both HT and music applications since i'm not big on having the huge sub sound play music but i like a good boom for explosions and thunder.
For an older post on sub crossovers chek out:
link to older post where sub crosses were also discussed

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."