Thanks for all of the replies. I've decided that I'm definitely getting a sub, and I've narrowed it down to the Adire Rava or the Axiom EP175. The Rava is very highly regarded. It goes lower than the EP175, and it seems to have the same goals as the Axioms--being "musical" is more important than HT slam. It also looks nice, and it is $100 USD less than the EP175. However, it has one major shortcoming for me: it's not shielded! I had planned on putting it near the TV so that it would be between the main speakers (depending, of course, on how it sounds when positioned there). I'm unsure how far away I'll need to put it.

Are the Axiom subs shielded? I think I remember reading somewhere that they are.

BTW, Semi_On, I do plan on living in this apartment forever. :} I've got a great lease in a 3-bedroom apartment in the best community in Manhattan in which to raise kids. We were on a 7-year waiting list to get into the apartment complex in a 2-bedroom, and then we we had to get on another waiting list for 8 years for our current 3-bedroom apartment. I can't imagine that I'll ever live anywhere else.