Thanks for the all insights. Personally, I did find the sound more open and less fatiguing with the tube pre-amp. Quite pleasant actually. But I also noticed that some "crispness" is lost in certain recordings, particularly live rock performances. I mean this in relative terms, i.e. vs. what you would actually hear in a live concert, for instance. This isn't necessarily unpleasant, just different.

All told, I'm quite happy with the set-up. The AVR allows me to use a sub for bass that I doubt an all tube set-up could achieve, not to mention the M22's own bass limitations. And for certain recordings, I can always opt for the AVR's pre-amp section should I prefer.

I have a question for DJ Stunna, though. The Marantz doesn't have direct stereo, so I use either the CD-R ins or the L/R ins of the 7.1 inputs (AUX2). Frankly, I didn't notice any difference. In either case, all the DSP modes and features remain functional if I choose to. But I gather the idea is to minimize the AVR's effect on the signal. Am I doing it right then?

And although I might be getting ahead, what can I expect if I get a dedicated amp to go with the pre compared to the current set-up now?

Thanks.