In reply to:

haven't seen any sonograms of different violins, but DJS if you can post some I'd like to see them.

Here you go 2x6. While not a true sonogram, it is close. It shows a way to track string motion via a laser sensor which basically does almost the same thing that a sonogram would do. Here is a page dedicated to sonograms and spectograms, but there are no pictures of violin sonograms within. Obviously I don't have any comparison sonograms between different types of violins because people buy the violin that sounds and looks good. They do not buy the violin that has a nice looking graph. This is due to the fact that there is no right or wrong with a violin. The characteristic sound of any particular violin is not "incorrect" as there is no reference to judge what is accurate. With an amplifier, there DEFINITELY is a right or wrong. The signal input is the end-all be-all reference point. A perfect amplifier will output exactly what is inputted with the sole exception of modulation of amplitude. "Right" is having a very linear power output throughout its rated bandwidth, power levels, and with different impedance loads. "Right" is having as low of a THD as possible and having a perfect square wave, sine wave, and triangle wave response when tested at different levels and under different loads.

I have to make one thing clear: I am not one to say that all amplifiers sound identical. Experience has shown me otherwise. I have an old reveiver (a 200W per channel stereo monster from the early 90s) that sounds different from my Pioneer 1014. It has a slightly overemphasized bass output and a sort of rolled-off, smooth treble. While I believe that there can be differences, I am a firm believer that if there ARE differences in amplifiers, they WILL show up with in-depth tests.

Just to show that I am not a pure "meter man," I do not hold the same views regarding loudspeakers because I feel that it is impossible to fully measure the output of a speaker in a 4-pi chamber in all directions with the temporal resolution needed to characterize a speaker as sounding a certain way. Plus, there are so many additional things to take into consideration with speakers such as resonance intensities around ports and if there are multiple ports how they affect eachother when their waves interact. This is not even taking a listening room into account which will further complicate the situation because due to differences in phasing as a result of crossovers, some speakers will by definition be harder to place in rooms than others.

In summary, my opinion on the matter is as follows:
Can there be differences in the sound of amps? YES, by all means. I have never stated otherwise.

If there are differences, will they show up in measurements? Yes.

Should there be differences in the sound of amps?
If they are competently designed solid state amps that have no coloration placed intentionally by the manufacturer, have ample power and are not strained during the test, no.

I hope that I have explained what I believe in an understandable manner.