I'm currently shopping around for an a/v receiver and speakers and I could use some advice. I found this forum after reading some good reviews about axiom and I find this group very informative. However, knowing that this is hosted by axiom, I don't know if the following questions are appropriate but I'll ask anyway.

The only speakers that I've heard in my price range that caught my ear so far are the paradigm monitor series. I'm currently considering the monitor 9 and one of their matching centers but I haven't decided what to do for surrounds and a sub if I take this route. I've read some opinions that the monitor 9's bass is perhaps a bit too boomy but they sounded smooth and satisfying to my untrained ears. I also haven't read anything about paradigms surrounds.

Also, I'm planning to buy a yamaha rx-v2500 and I'd like a good set of speakers to match.

My question is, how would you compare the sound of the paradigms to the axioms for movies as well as music? The Epic 60 set is about at the top of my price range so that's the set I'm most interested in. My room is about 22'x13x8' so I think this set is appropriate to the room.

I'm also curious to hear how people decided to take the leap into buying speakers having never heard them. I appreciate the 30 day trial offer but I really don't want to spend money returning speakers.