I've heard that the Monitor Audio have a similar bass as the Axioms do, very tight and fast. I don't know about the rest but i plan on going tomorrow to do some looking around for fun.

I don't know what the Ascends sound like but several of the specs on the Ascend website look a little funky.
For example they state their frequency response is virtually flat yet their graph only shows the frequencies up to 10khz or so. Their impedance curve does the same, and some of the spikes are quite amazing.
Those speakers are listed as 4 ohms?
That's certainly untypical for such a small speaker.
Heck, no wonder they are cheap. They didn't even use 3/4" MDF or better for construction. I can't stand the thin or flaky box structure. Does something unnatural to the sound. Personally i think the old particle board is better than thinner MDF.
Seems to be alot of marketing statements on the website too, the kind of 'presentation' you see at Polk or Bose. Incidentally, the Audio Review award and website link they give for those CBM 170s is littered with ppl saying their similar used products were mostly Bose, M&K, Paradigm Atoms and Polk. Not surprising that most of them would like anything better than most of those speakers but i guess it happens to be that price range.
I don't think i would be leaning towards those Ascends as potential speakers for me, but again, one should still hear them before judging.

The Aperions are built alot more solid at least based on the materials used. I can't say much about the drivers but the frequency graph looks good, although a bit suspect (that little bookshelf seems to be holding a steady curve even at the 30hz range which for some reason makes me begin to doubt its accuracy). I like their return policy, very simliar to Axiom. I think i would give their speakers an audition for sure.

Last edited by chesseroo; 01/25/03 04:07 AM.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."