Gee I can't let this post topic pass me by...

As a guy who used to work for Sony, and has purchased and owned many different brands and products over the years, I can say that without a doubt the Sony ES series of components are better than their "standard" units.

Everybody in the hi-fi business generally has the same issues that surround the design and production of equipment. Development costs, production costs, labor costs, parts, materials, marketing, advertising, shipping, warranty, profits, etc. In most cases you really do get what you pay for! The ES series of components are designed to compete with the higher end gear of companies like Marantz, Denon, Onkyo, etc. Everybody wants to make and sell as much stuff as possible and there are many different markets all around the world. So really big companies like Sony, Matshushita (which own/make Techniques, Panasonic, JVC), Mitsubishi, Kenwood/Trio, Pioneer and many others are able to build and sell gear to all kinds of buyers. Some people want inexpensive and flashy looking gear - and others want really good quality stuff and are willing to pay extra for it.

Even Onkyo revamped their line and build a series of more "popular priced" receivers with their TX SR500, 600, 700 models. Are they crap? No - but compared to their other units, I think they are certainly "cheaper" in more than just cost.

Rest assured that a company like Sony has the resources and where-with-all to build some of the finest gear available. OK But is it? Well, whose opinion do you want to believe? Everybody has one (me too!) I recommend you compare prices, specs, warranties and use your EARS, EYES and HANDS! Play with them, listen to them FEEL them. Quality shows up in many different ways.

So who makes the best? scheesch - who makes the best of anything? Are Mercedes or BMWs the best cars on the road? Maybe - but they still break down, need repair, maintenance etc.

I have had and used Sony gear for many years, some of it has NEVER had to be repaired and some of it was well... pretty crappy. Wow! I still have the original Sony Walkman (TPS-L2) from around 1984 (?) and it still works! (well it really needs a new drive belt) But some things just last and others don't. I have a Sony A/V receiver (5 years old) that lost a channel before the 2 year warranty was up, got it fixed (they replaced two tiny resistors) and have had no problems since. SO you just never know!

IMHO the new STR DA ES series receivers should do you just fine (I would recommend the DA4ES) and are much better than the normal STR DE series.

Sorry for the long winded post - but I just HAD to get my 2 cents worth in here.

Good luck on your choice!

Randyman