In reply to:

I'd be interested in hearing your impressions Mark.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to do anything soon. It's sitting in my rack in "bypass" mode, as I only got the preliminary stuff done.

As I've mentioned a few times here (!), my little square room sux. I really need to find a way to diffuse/absorb some big peaks, and I haven't figured out what to do about the bass nulls yet. After reading so many good things about the BFD, I figured it's worth a try for my bass issues. The plan will be to tame those huge peaks so I can bring the overall level higher…hopefully helping some of the nulls and valleys.

As mentioned previously, I started by creating a test disc of tones followed by some production and commercial music samples for bass listening. When all was said and done, I ended up with three discs of tracks. I also redesigned the bass frequency plot I made to reflect the finer resolution of these samples. So I was finally ready to start charting test tones, but thought that I had better absolutely confirm the sub location before the BFD comes into play. So, after testing and listening, I did end up moving the sub to a new location. The results are only marginally better, but right now I'll take "better" as "better".

So there sits the BFD. My "before" charts are plotted for the three primary listening locations, the BFD is installed, but I have no time to learn and adjust the unit. I'll be gone to a "family thing" in NY for a 3-day weekend and, considering I'm backed up now, I know I'll be even further backed up in my work when I return.

I'm irritated that the fine tuning is taking me so long with the whole HT….. which is entirely due to my lack of free time. It's kind of sad actually that it took me so long to fine tune my speaker positions (I've had my system since last Fall and only tweaked the M60s' positions this past weekend, to good result I'll add). I still have such basic things to do as finish programming my MX700… I think Ray gave up on me!

And yet, I still can't help thinking how much fun it could be to tame this room and write another "parent" post…. Though it really will be nowhere near the length of the last one. Realistically, it just might be a month before that actually happens!

I can't personally vouch for the BFD, but I would still recommend it to others based on so many other positive results others have reported. My biggest concern was that, in my room, the bass changes significantly in just a few feet as I walk around the room. My "before" metering has left me feeling optimistic about the results I might get: Though there are differences across the three main seats, they're not nearly as significant as in other areas of the room. Meaning, in other words, that the three seats are sharing "variations" of the same peaks and therefore I can hope the BFD will improve ALL three seating positions… not one at the loss of another as I first feared.

I'll post… and there will be lots of pix…. But it might not be too soon! Don't wait for me!

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::